Mobile Apps are a crucial part of every business. You need a mobile app to showcase & sell your services/products to your consumers. With the whole world going mobile, the idea is to present a service or a product right where a user is looking for it – on their smartphone.
So, how much does a mobile app development cost in 2020?
When it comes to mobile app development costs, getting the exact figure is almost impossible. Depending on the type & complexity of your mobile app, the app development cost in 2020 lies anywhere between $5,000 – $500,000. I know that this is quite vague.
This app development cost breakdown will help you get a better perspective on how and where should you spend your mobile app budget in 2020. Before getting on with the topic, here is a look at app development cost in surveys.
A Look at Mobile App Development Costs: Survey Results
- The average mobile app development costs for an iOS app are about $28, 0000, for an Android app is about $23,000 and for a Windows Phone app is about $18,000. (BusinessofApps)
- The average minimum mobile app development cost is $5,000 – $10,000. However, the typical cost to build a meaningful app will likely be significantly higher. (Clutch)
- The mobile app development cost for an app with advanced features like Instagram is $70,000 – $100,000, medium complex features like WhatsApp is $61,000-$69,000, and basic features like Tinder is $40,000 – $60,000. (GoodFirms)
Now that we have rough estimates from these survey results, I have covered a comprehensive app development cost breakdown in this article to give you a more exact cost of creating an app.
Mobile App Development Cost: Which Platform Do You Want Your App For?
The first step of mobile app development is to choose the platform you want your app for – Native, Hybrid or Cross-Platform. In this app development cost breakdown, here is a brief about these types to give you a rough idea.
- Native: The mobile apps that we use and talk about on a daily basis are usually Native. Native apps are developed to function on a particular OS. For instance, a Native App built for Android won’t function on an iOS platform and vice-versa.
- Hybrid vs Cross-Platform: If you ignore the technicalities of how the UI of the app is rendered on a native device, hybrid and cross-platform apps are basically the same. A hybrid or a cross-platform app functions the same way for different OSs.
You get the idea. If you want your app to be Native, you will have to invest more depending on the number of platforms you want to target.
On the other hand, if you want to save on app development cost, you should go for a Hybrid or Cross-Platform App. Having said that, Native Apps are technically superior and perform better as compared to Hybrid apps.
If you already have a budget, start by allocating 10% of your app development budget for business (or market) analysis. Understand your user base and the platforms you want to target. Decide the key features you want your app to have such as social logins, payment gateways, etc.
This brings us to our next point in app development cost breakdown – What is the type of app you want to create?
Mobile App Development Cost: Types of App
When looking for an exact answer to how much does it cost to make an app in 2020, deciding the type of app you want for your startup or business is crucial.
I know it is not really possible to categorize every app there is in separate categories, but here are a few major app categories most apps fall into.
- Basic Apps: Apps with a maximum of 4-5 screens fall into this category. And as you can already guess, the mobile app development cost of basic apps start from $5,000.
- Data-Driven Apps: Data-driven or database mobile apps are those where a connection to your server is required. These types of apps cost up to $80,000.
- Enterprise Apps: Enterprise apps is the category where most B2B apps and apps for employees fall in. The average app development cost of these types of apps is $60,000-$100,000.
- Gaming Apps: Gaming apps require spot-on UI/UX and integration of advanced features. The app development cost of gaming apps can go up to $150,000 or more, depending on the number & complexity of features you want to use in your mobile app!
More the number and complexity of features you want in your app, the more will its app development cost. For instance, here are a few features and their respective costs:
- Secure Payment Gateway: $2800 – $4000
- Location & Map: $3600 – $5800
- Audio & Video Calling: $11,500 – $18,500
- Streaming: $4400 – $7200
It is always a good idea to decide beforehand what all features you want your app to have. This will not only help you to put a number to your app development costs but also give a rough idea of how long will the development & deployment process take!
The next step is finding the right team of mobile app developers to ensure that your mobile app idea gets executed exactly the way you want it.
Mobile App Development Cost: Who to Hire?
When it comes to getting your mobile app developed, you have 2 major options: setting up an in-house team and hiring offshore developers (Staff Augmentation).
Let’s say that you are planning to build an app like Uber. Now, the front-end development of an app like Uber takes around 310-400 hours for iOS and up to 430 hours for Android.
Here are your options for getting your mobile app developed and their rough cost estimates.
- Setting up an In-house Team: The average salary of mobile app developers in the US in 2020 is $104,000 – $107,000. Let’s say you set up a team of 5 mobile app developers – frontend & backend and 2 testers. Apart from the lump sums of their salaries, you also have other costs such as infrastructure costs, health & insurance costs, and more!
- Staff Augmentation (Offshore Team): Through the staff augmentation model, you can hire managed remote mobile app developers to save big on your app development costs. You can either hire to augment your in-house team or set up an entire team of remote mobile app developers.
Hiring managed remote app developers from Resourcifi not only helps you on app development costs but also allows you to leverage our highly-skilled developers for your app!
Save large on mobile app development costs in 2020 while ensuring top-notch development & testing with us. Contact us today to know more!
Mobile App Development Cost: How Much Does App Design Cost?
The UI and UX design takes a lot of time and plays a deciding role in the quality of your final product – mobile app. If you want a customized UI and UX for your app, the design alone could take up to 200 hours and costs anywhere from $1100 to $11,500.
There are easy options for this as well, such as using default OS screens & standard elements. The UI/UX design of your mobile app decides how interactive your app is going to be and how well will it perform in the market. This is why I advise you not to compromise on this stage!
Mobile App Development Cost: Final Words
The development phase of your mobile app is done but is that it? Two important stages are still left before your users start using your app – QA Testing & Marketing.
QA Testing ensures that your mobile app doesn’t show any errors and functions exactly the way it is developed. QA Testing costs anywhere around $4000 – $8,000.
Only after proper marketing, you can expect your app to attract users. Depending on the medium you choose for marketing your business, the marketing of your app can cost anywhere from a few thousand dollars to ten thousand dollars and more!
Besides marketing, there is one more on-going mobile app cost – update & support. To get continued interaction from your users, your mobile app needs to be up-to-date with the latest technology trends and behavioral changes.
Did this mobile app development cost breakdown answer your question of how much does it cost to make an app?
Resourcifi offers managed remote mobile app developers who can be hired on a part-time, full-time, or an hourly basis. Use our savings calculator by clicking on the image below to know how much you can save by hiring a remote mobile app developer from us today!